Monday, June 14, 2010

Hitting Home


So remember that river trail I posted so lovingly about 4 posts ago? The one I abandoned my treadmill for? Last Wednesday, a girl was severely beat, raped, and left for dead while on the very same trail. You can view the news story about it here.

The attack happened right in the middle of the day, around 3:30. I am in shock. I can't believe something like that happened so close to me, that someone could really do that to another human being. What really gives me the chills is that I ran on that trail alone the day that happened. Just a couple hours after. It is so frightening to think how easily that could have been me. I was always nervous while running on that trail, constantly looking over my shoulder, and breathing sighs of reliefs when I saw groups of people up ahead. But I don't think I ever really expected something like this to happen, especially not something of this magnitude.

Friday night I returned back to the gym where I will continue to run from now on. As I was driving home, I was thinking about that poor girl, and I kind of got hit with a wave of emotions for her. She is so young, and because of the heartless, brutal actions taken against her that day, her life will never be the same. On top of all the emotional issues she will deal with for years to come, the police say she has physical injuries that will most likely be lifelong. This is someone's daughter, someone's sister, someone's best friend. An innocent 19 year old girl that was attending college. My heart breaks for her, and for the fact that its no longer safe for women to do something as basic as exercising outdoors.

2 comments:

  1. I ran that trail the day before...alone at that. I do that a lot. Run alone. I was definitely shaken when I got the email from BYU about that girl. So sad.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow that is really soo sad! That poor girl! I'm glad your safe and it wasn't you that it happened to!

    ReplyDelete