Tuesday, October 11, 2011

work is so much more fun when it's cute

Since I've started freelancing, I've discovered the need to have a desk back (I moved ours into storage when I turned our 2nd bedroom into the nursery). It just not optimal conditions to do all my research/writing on the couch, in front of the TV, with the laptop on my lap. Especially when Jared is watching something and does his signature high volume laugh, and tells me "watch this" every ten minutes. lol.
So I began scouring KSL for a tiny table/desk that would be appropriately sized for our little apartment, and possibly function as a decor piece as well. I was looking for little secretary desks, roll tops, "entry" type tables, brainstorming different options.
One morning I saw a new post for this:


I know it doesn't look all that amazing, but I saw potential in it! The size was just right. Plus I thought outside the box and figured with a cute mirror hung above it, and a little stool it was perfect to be used as a bedroom vanity as well! I have always wanted a vanity, but haven't come across one at the right price.
I loved that I wouldn't have to just throw it out when we have a bigger place someday, it will just get repurposed into my bedroom vanity! Of course it needed a makeover badly.
So off I went to Lowe's in search of supplies.

24 hours later, my $10 find looked like this:

Goodbye wooden knobs, hello victorian glass!


Here's a close up of the glaze



Of course the inside had to be cute as well



Can't you just envision it someday filled with makeup, my curling iron and blowdryer, and topped with bottles of perfume? And a big oval mirror will hang over it :-)

But in the meantime.... it makes me excited to do some work! And the BEST part? It's the exact dimensions of Emmett's changing table and the color matches his Dr. Seuss room! So out goes the changing table, and in comes the desk!

Now I have a place to go to when I need peace and quiet (well as much as our little shoebox offers anyway!)  

3 comments: