Friday, January 17, 2014

all hallows eve (and its festivities)

I love the holidays (and you KNOW I particularly love Halloween). I love packing them full of as many events as possible. My affection has grown exponentially since the day Emmett was born. Kids just make every little part of them so much more fun. We attended a little community "Fall Festival" when Kirsten was still here (I had to strongly resist the urge to refer to her as Bicki - Her aunt nickname).


There was crafts and games and a little children's costume parade at the end.
 
Next up came our ward trunk or treat party. I couldn't let Halloween come and go without dressing up! So at last minute Kirsten and I ran to Goodwill and scored some finds. Jared was the party pooper... like every year! He just doesn't have the love for costumes like I do!
 
 When he realized that everyone else in the family was going dressed up, he consented at last minute to let me shove a pillow in the back of his shirt. (I was dressed as Esmerelda and said he could be the hunchback). But you know Jar, he was too bashful and took it out as soon as we got there.
 
 
 I just love both my little superheroes
 

 
  Next up on the Halloween bucket list was taking Emmett to a fun pumpkin patch. I was totally going through withdrawals for Cornbelly's. I LOVE Cornbelly's! Everyone was posting pictures and making me jealous. We found a pretty good substitute, called Vertuccio Farms. STILL not Cornbellys, but it worked and Emmett had a grand ole time.
 
 

That smile in the left photo is what I do it all for. Nothing can explain how fulfilled I feel when I see Emmett purely happy.
 
And THEN on Halloween day, I gave in and decided to take the boys to Schnepf Farms - the big attraction around here. There was a ton of stuff to do (even carnival rides), but since it was the last day it was far too busy for my taste. If we go back again I'll make sure to go early in the month!
 
We went with our good friend Whitney - who, believe it or not, lived in our basement in Provo. We both got hit by a wind that landed us in the same place! :)


First we headed over to Farmer Bob's pig races (which was pretty hilarious)



They even had a goat race, which was far less entertaining. The goats missed the memo it was a RACE.



After the races we played at a park, waited in line for some rides (then after 15 minutes decided the lines weren't moving and decided to get OUT of line, ate Italian ice, then walked over to the pumpkin patch area. Em was thoroughly occupied by pushing pumpkins around in his wheelbarrow.
 
 
 
Whitney had to take off early, but being early on in my reign of two boys I was feeling pretty brave, so I decided to stick around and take them on the hay ride.
 

They had some type of reindeer from (Africa? I cant remember), but we got to stop, pick some orange leaves and feed them, which was pretty neat.
 
When the hayride was over, Emmett stared to go crazy/run off - and in a crowd of that many people where I couldn't chase him because I was tied to the baby's stroller - I had to think quick! I spotted a candy store up ahead, lured him in, then told him I'd only buy the candy if he'd be a good boy and walk to the car with me after. Hook line and sink 'em. Bribery never fails.
 
All that was left in our Halloween extravaganza was getting ready for the actual night! I got the boys all dressed and forgoed my own costume this time. I didn't want to be that weird mom walking around all dressed up by herself for trick or treating.
 
ahhh heart melting
 
Emmett loved all the decorations
 

OR I just made him pose by all the decorations. You decide.



PHEW!! Are you still with me?! Congratulations! That takes endurance. I know it did on my end. This may be the most time consuming post I've ever done. But man does it feel good! Remind me not to get so far behind next time...

As you can see we really did pack Halloween full of a lot of fun things. Aside from just being plain fun, I hope to create strong memories for the boys. When they're grown (which will never happen, because they're going to stay babies forever!!) I want them to look back with fondness and remember what good times we had as a family, and how much their parents loved them.

Stay tuned for lots more holiday adventures to come! Hopefully sooner rather than later... :)

No comments:

Post a Comment