Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Staples of my Childhood

I've been meaning to do this post for months now but have gotten so behind. Better late than never I always say!

Grandma's houses hold so many special childhood memories. Favorite games, movies, decorations that have stuck through the ages. This summer when I went and stayed at my Grandma Whittakers, I decided to document all the "staple" items that were trademarks of Grandma and Grandpa Whittaker for my own memories. The house just wouldn't be the same without them!!



Top Left:
This is the special stone pathway to Grandma's house. Endless hours were spent hopping on one foot, playing hopscotch, practicing my balance beam... My sister Kendall is modeling it for us above.
Top right:
Grandma's special bonzai tree. Grandma's bonzai's are so coveted in her neighborhood, one
time one was completely dug up (roots and all) and stolen overnight. No lie.
Bottom Left:
 The "Green Roses" This is some special flower/cactus they have in New Mexico or something (I finally got the story behind them this summer). But my whole life I thought Grandma's garden was the coolest because she's the only person I've ever seen that had Green Roses.
Bottom Right:
The Entrance to Grandma's house with the standard Ivy and Whittaker sign

Top Left:
The reading baskets. These are scattered throughout the house. Always chock full of books (Lately Grandma gets them from "'the girls' at Curves")
Top Right:
The Ticket!! Grandma and Grandpa are constantly going to movies or as they call them "shows". Therefore the ticket can ALWAYS be spotted lying out. We've all told Grandpa on multiple occassions that the paper is pretty much obselete thanks to Fandango, but he is loyal.
Bottom Left:
 The Octagon window - Need I say more? Usually their neighbor Henry can be spotted outside of it cranking his lawnmower.
Bottom Right:
Grandma's knitting basket. Always in the same place behind her Recliner.

Top Left:
Grandma's Old-fashioned phone. This is even a replacement of the the original one. But my whole life a phone like this has hung there (I think it's cause Grandma is from England)
Top Right:
 The Hat boxes. Grandma always has hat boxes stacked around the house like this for decor. Looking at some of these pictures makes me realize how similar our decorating tastes are! haha
Bottom Left:
The twisty lamp. The living room wouldn't be the same without it
Bottom right:
 The dress up box!! This was all the grand-girls favorite part! Grandma has it stashed with lacy things, heels, etc.


Left:
The bathroom snail that always has an array of towels wrapped in it
Right:
The dust monsters. A favorite toy of grandkids under 5. Grandma was really smart tricking us all into dusting for her.. haha.

And last but not least... their beautiful backyard that Grandpa (and Grandma) spend hours a day working on. I always picture grandpa with his wireless radio headset (AM radio of course) pushing the lawnmower. The yard is always full of colorful flowers, and the tables make it perfect for family get togethers. Many Easter egg hunts have taken place in this yard. As we grew up we learned Grandma and Grandpas favorite hiding spots: the basket that hangs down from the tree, the water fountain, along the fence rail... ahh the nostalgia!

So there you have it! A detailed tour of Grandma and Grandpa Whittaker's. You can see why I loved going there so much!


No comments:

Post a Comment