Monday, May 16, 2011

A Very Merry UNBirthday

I'm a little late on this post. I kept waiting to get additional pictures from my mom's camera, but I still haven't and I don't want anymore time to go by, so these will do for now! In honor of Emmett's first birthday (and his special circumstances) we threw him a very merry UNbirthday party! We had a great turn out with all of Jared and I's immediate family, and some of my best friends.

We had the party about a month ago, on April 10th. While sitting at church earlier that day, I started to tear up a little bit. I thought back to where we were a year ago, and all of the fear and uncertainty that lie ahead. I realized how far we've all come in the past year, learning so much, becoming emotionally (and in Emmett's case) physically stronger, taking it day by day.. and somehow getting ourselves here. It was such a big day to celebrate. My heart was so completely full of joy the entire day to be celebrating my happy, healthy baby boy with all the people I love most.

Here is our little family in front of Em's birthday spread.

Here are some close ups of the things on the table that I want to remember.
(From left to right)
1.) Emmett's smash cake
2.) THE Birthday cake. One of my finest accomplishments. I spent weeks brainstorming and reading tutorials and was pretty proud of myself it turned out this well!
3.) What is the month of April without Cadbury mini eggs? In this case, they were the "wonder eggs", you know like the ones Alice would eat to grow bigger and smaller?
4.) Strawberries and Emmett's 6 month picture
5.) "Memories Down the Rabbit Hole" Mementos from the NICU that I framed because I never want to forget.To put it in perspective, he was swimming in that TINY diaper when he was born, and it had to be folded down in order to fit. The outfit in the frame he finally fit in when he was about 2 months old (theyre preemie size).

 
Here are some shots of the family and friends that shared our special day. Thank you everyone who made the effort to be there, it really meant so much to us!

Enjoying the festivities
Even though Emmett didn't know exactly what was going on, he could tell there was an excitement about HIM going on. It was so cute. He knew everyone was giving him attention for some reason and he was loving it. Gifts of note from the grandparents were his toy rocking horse that bounces/rocks and plays music (Whittakers) and the toy vacuum (Ericksons). Thank you guys, he LOVES them!

He knew EXACTLY what to do with his cake. Dug right in and plopped it straight in the mouth. Even went back for a few bites. Eventually he got pretty upset that his hands were so caked with frosting. haha. That stopped the event.

We are so proud of all he's overcome and accomplished. It was the Merriest UnBirthday I think there's ever been. We love you Emmett!

No comments:

Post a Comment