Thursday, June 30, 2011

No thank you, I'm not Pinterested

So by this point most of you fellow bloggers have joined Pinterest. The wonderful world of pinning has introduced me to all sorts of delicious new recipes (I've already made quite a few of them), great project ideas, organization inspiration (my laundry closet just recently went through a major organizing makeover complete with the free labels I found), hair ideas (I've been sporting tons of new cute and easy styles lately) and so much more.

Amidst all this sea of wonder, there is the....well not so wonderful. The things where DIYer's are just going too far, and it's like, "no sorry, that's just plain ugly. And sucks you spent so much time and effort on it." haha.

There are also things that I like or did like until the Pinterest nation went crazy pinning the heck out of it, and it became subsequently ruined for me.

Examples include but are not limited to:

Yellow and Grey - Great color combo but if I see one more picture of a yellow and grey living room with the caption "LOVE Yellow and Gray!", I'm going to boycott the combination forever!

Chevron Stripes - also very cute. But I don't want to see that you happened to find it on rugs, t-shirts, pillowcases, blankets, walls, tables, baby diapers, dishes and every other random object you can come up with.

                                            and look a perfect picture to conveniently tie in both!

Wall Stencils - So over these already. 1. They're overdone 2. They're trendy and are going to be so dated in lets see... like 4 months. And 3. They make me feel like I'm going to seizure.



Smorgasboard Desserts - I'd never head of these until pinterest, and I'm going to be honest - they sound disgusting. You know what I'm talking about, the layer of brownies, topped with a layer of chocolate chip cookie, topped with a layer of cheesecake, topped with ice cream etc etc etc... It reminds me of Buddy the Elf


Mason Jars - Cute, timeless, a billion uses. But everytime I log on I'm bombarded by people using them for vases, soap dispensers, baking mix gifts, drinking cups...and then there's the more "creative" uses - light fixtures and "picture jars" (either empty or filled with olive oil, but both weird), and my personal favorite, birthday cake in a jar.



Reclaimed Wood - taking over the "artsy" world. Once again, cute- but growing too much, too fast for moi.


whoa, whoa, whoa. Okay in this picture we have the reclaimed wood wall, yellow and grey decor, AND the stenciled print carpet. Can we say Pinterest overload?!

So in a nutshell, here's my thesis. Pinterest is causing trends to get overexposed and therefore over with before they even start! While it gives me totally great ideas and inspiration in some areas, it makes me rethink my decision in others. It would be interesting to see the statistics of what states Pinterest-ians live in, because is it just me or is the whole site soooo... Utah? (No offense intended, the style really does just seem like Utah to me!)

Now that I've probably offended every single reader by bagging on their current fave, I think it's my queue to take off.

To each their own, right? Happy Pinning :-)

1 comment:

  1. hahahaha you should've used my pin... it covers a few of these ;)

    ReplyDelete