Wednesday, January 25, 2012

a note for emmett

Dear Emmett,

Today is January 12th, and we celebrate the happiest day of my life. It's two years from the day you came into my life and stole my heart forever. Two years since your tiny, miraculous one pound body came out with a heroic cry and received 9/9 on your apgars.
Since then I've learned what it feels like to have my heart and soul exist in a seperate little body. It's exhilirating and terrifying. Especially because your particular little body tends to gravitate to towards sharp objects, high places, and poisonous substances :)
 I can't remember what a life without you felt like, and I think that's because you have always been in it. We've been together long before this life - and you waited patiently in heaven those 24 years, watching every choice Dad and  I made, waiting to join us again. I truly believe this unique bond you and I share extends far past this earth.
Thank you for teaching me patience, giving me strength I never knew I had, and showing me what pure, perfect joy feels like.
Today we will celebrate from morning until night, because we have a million reasons to.You're perfect in every single way - the very definition of a miracle. I love you forever and ever!

Mom


And in honor of the occassion I wanted to share a page from my journal two years ago.

Feb 11, 2010
"I held you skin to skin for the first time today and it felt so amazing. Your warm little body up against mine - I felt like we were finally connected again, our hearts beating together. I talked to you and hummed so you could hear my voice on my chest and feel like you were back in the womb.
 Emmett, Heavenly father loves you so much. You are such a special little boy and I already know you're going to grow up to do so many important things. He watches over you every single day, and in the hours I'm not here - I know he's always right beside you, comforting you. You're in good hands."





Happy Birthday Bug!!

1 comment:

  1. Oh, Cassie! This is beautiful. I teared up a little reading this. You and your little fighter have shown such strength, and I cannot tell you how happy it makes my heart to check your blog from time to time and see that you and Emmett are thriving. It's wonderful and exciting, and I have so much respect for you and your family. Lots of love :)

    ReplyDelete