Wednesday, November 7, 2012

isn't there something wrong here?

The other day Jared and I were catching up on the latest episode of Vampire Diaries (which has really taken a turn South this season, if I may). We couldn't help but laugh at the the cheesy overdramaticized scenes between Stephen and Elena now that she's a vampire (oops, spoiler!!)


During one of their steamy little escapades, my mind wandered - as usual- and began contemplating society's current fascination with vampire love. Based off the past five year's books, movies, and TV shows, I think it's fair to say a large amount of people are enamored with this human/vampire love affair idea. Or even vampire/vampire. But what I was mulling over was... WHY?

I will admit there is a certain turn on to the whole secretive, supernatural, superhuman idea. But that concession kind of disturbs my mind a little bit.

We're intrinsically attracted to cannibalism? That's what it comes down to right? Something inside people clicks on in response to these blood sucking, human devouring vampires. We are disgusted by the thought of cannibals, yet lovestruck with vampires? Interesting...

Does it not seem a little grotesque that society in general finds this blood sucking romance to be so steamy? Perhaps its the feral, feline-like attributes that our minds enjoy?

By this point, Stephen and Elena's little romp in the woods had ended and my mind returned to the plot. But what do you think? Any thoughts??

PS anyone else wishing the whole Damon thing would happen already?!

3 comments:

  1. Ah, thank you! The show has hit a slump and I can't figure out why I find vampire Elena INFURIATING. I also think the love triangle is ridiculous! Part of the plot in the last season finale was her finally making her choice. Let's be done with the back and forth business!

    As for why there is an obsession with some good ol' vampire love... I blame it all on Stephanie Meyer. She made vampires seem like the ultimate unattainable lover that sent teens and women over 35 into a frenzy.

    You can see I feel very strongly about these subjects. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel the same way. this show is not that interesting as it was. blah.

    ReplyDelete
  3. its the "forbidden-ness" that people love about the human/vampire attraction! It's the danger and passion of it all. haha. I don't think it's so much that they are "blood suckers." And uh, I WISH the Damon thing would happen! Did you see last episode!? I thought it finally happened and then they go ahead and say she's sired (sp?) to Damon?! WHAT. The show has kind of plateaued though..

    ReplyDelete