Friday, November 30, 2012

waxing nostalgic

There's something about the end of the year that always brings out the emotional, sentimental side of me. It is compounded by the fact that at the end of each year I am working on photo books, and a photo calendar for the coming year.

I love looking back at the pictures taken earlier in the year. I feel like each shot was just snapped yesterday, and I can remember everything that was going on in that moment. For a second I am transported back to that shot and feel the laughter bursting out of my chest when Emmett came running down the hall in the giant sombrero he found in the closet, and one flip flop. I feel the sun on my shoulders and my smile a mile wide as I spent my first summer at Seven Peaks with Emmett in his cute ladybug raft. And I feel a boiling sense of anxiety as I look at last year's birthday party and think "that can't be right. We JUST had that Shrek party, how is it time for another one?" Those are the moments I dislike, and feel saddened by the unfairness of time.
It's an uncanny feeling staring at pictures that seem so close yet so distant at the same time - Recalling every memory with perfect clarity, yet feeling as if it's a distant life so far away.

While looking at my 2013 calendar, which just arrived today, I've been overwhelmed with gratitude. I can literally count my blessings with the turn of each and every page. We've had such a great year, and been blessed with many wonderful opportunities. Moving into our first house has been such a fun, exciting step for us and enabled us to share so many family-bonding activities. The adventures of mowing our lawn for the first time and baking zucchini bread fresh from our garden...
I love our life, and I love the happiness I am able to feel again and again by looking at these captured memories. Though to anyone else it's just a picture, to me it's like a magical trip in a time machine.

Ok now this is is the part where I pull myself together, and force myself back into the present moment. In order to do so we'll look at ONE more picture - but this time I'll share it with you:


How can you not feel happy (and strong) looking at this??  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment